Sunday, February 28, 2010

A lazy Sunday morning...

Good Morning everyone!  Though this morning will be a lazy one, - breakfast and reading the newspaper by the fireplace, I have lots of things to accomplish this afternoon.  Vlad needs a bath, I have a couple mountains of laundry to fold, and I need to get a main workout in today because tomorrow night we are going to see Shidara at UW-Eau Claire (a japanese drums concert).  Tomorrow will be one of my "rest" days for the week. 

So, I really needed to start the morning out with a strong cup of coffee.


Carl and I (like so many people) are crazy about Starbucks.  I should sit down and add up all of the money I spend on lattes and venti cups of coffee!  Our favorite coffee blend is Cafe Verona, which I can buy at the local grocery store luckily.  It's a BOLD coffee, and the taste has hints of cocoa.  Mmmmmm.  I brew it pretty strong too.  I use 5 heaping tablespoons for about 10 cups of coffee.  And, Carl and I drink our coffee black - no milk or sugar.  Hey, if you're gonna drink coffee, drink coffee, not candy.

After starting our brew, I got the ingredients out to try a new whole wheat pancake recipe from Ellie Krieger (from Food Network).  We almost always have pancakes on Sunday mornings - it's our special breakfast morning. 


I'll post this recipe under my "Recipe" page if you want to check it out.  For three pancakes it's 310 calories, 3.5g of fat, 420mg sodium, 59g of carbs, 5g of fiber (great!), and 13g of protein (double great!).  Overall not too bad for pancakes.  Using whole grains is a great idea, lots of protein and fiber.






The pancakes were easy to make, and turned out to be pretty tasty.  They were a little on the sweet side for us, but they were healthier than our normal Bisquick pancakes, and overall had a nice flavor and were fluffy.  I would definitely use this recipe again.  We also had three pieces of bacon each, and I had a glass of orange juice (Trop 50), and Carl had a glass of skim milk.

After breakfast Carl filled the birdfeeders so that the birds could eat breakfast too.  They were looking in at us through the deck door while we were eating our pancakes.  All their feeders were empty.  (Carl and I are really into bird watching.  We like to attract the birds.  There are four really cool doves that regularly come to our house, and a few red headed woodpeckers too.)


Vlad helped Carl by looking for buried and frozen tennis balls in the back yard.





A nice morning!

No comments:

Recent Comments