Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A Day in Wausau

Today was a Wausau day, meaning I had to drive to my firm's Wausau office for my bi-monthly meeting. It was a gorgeous morning to drive though. I got up at 4:45AM, no walk this morning because it's Tuesday. Breakfast was scrambled eggs, a whole wheat English muffin with Smart Balance spread, and a small glass of juice.

Later, I set out on my drive with my NPR, my coffee, and my sunglasses (which I needed later, I left at 6:30AM in the dark). This morning I also caught on some New York Times Book Review and Barnes and Noble Meet the Writers podcasts.

I usually have lunch with my co-worker, Lisa, when I'm in Wausau, but she had a lunch meeting today. :( So, I brought my lunch, and decided to walk around and check out the downtown shops. Today's lunch was a handful of grapes, some Kashi Cinnamon Harvest cereal with Almond milk, and some baby carrots. (Strange combination, I know... :P) I ate lunch in the cafe, grabbed my purse and set out to check out the Wausau scene.

First, I stopped in the Downtown Grocery, which is Wausau's local food co-op. I've been in here a couple of times with Lisa, and I think it's pretty cool. (You can get lunch here too!)  Most of everything in here is local to Wisconsin, and organically grown. They really strive to have local foods, but some items are from other states.  I picked up a few things while I was looking around. First, I grabbed a box of Yogi tea - Goji Berry, Green Tea. The box says, "the bright red Goji Berry, considered one of the most healing fruits in traditional Chinese medicine, is said to support the liver and the circulatory system."  Good for vitality!

Next, I grabbed some wheat berries, which are supposed to be a great source of protein and whole grains. I've been looking for them everywhere, and finally found some! You can put them in baked goods, cereal, oatmeal... pretty much the same things you can put flax seed meal in. Wheat berries have a nutty flavor.

I just glanced at the cold items, but didn't get anything.



Next, I picked up some Red Mill, Organic High Fiber Pancake & Waffle Whole Grain Mix - that's mouthful!  I've never tried this before, but we sure do love pancakes! :D

And finally, I picked out an organic alvacado. 
Yum, I'm not sure what I'll use it in, but they just looked so good! 


My next shop stop was right across the street at Evolutions.  This shop is a flower / clothing boutique.  It was really eclectic.  Very, very cool.  It looks like just a little shop from the outside, but it has a downstairs and and upstairs, and you just keep going, and going, and there is cool stuff everywhere!  :))
Here are a couple of shots of the store and what's inside.



These lotions were awesome, but a little too pricey for me.

Posted by Picasa


I really liked this card.



Umm, this was a purse...




The boutique was having a special promotion today - try on any clothing in the new spring line, and get a free scarf.  I was a little uncomfortable with trying something on and not buying it, but the sales lady assured me it was okay.  So I did, and I got a cool new scarf for free!


Here's the one I picked out.


I spent so much time in this awesome store, that I didn't have time to go anywhere else, and had to head back to the office.  That's okay though.  I had a great time looking around Evolutions.

On the way home, I had to stop at one of the grocery stores in Wausau to pick up some salad fixin's and french bread for tomorrow's St. Patrick's Day Fundraising lunch at work.  We're having chili, potato soup, salad, and desserts!

I also ended up getting for myself some red grapes, more Chobani yogurt, and a honey dew melon.  I haven't had a honey dew since last summer!



On the drive home I had a Red Delicious apple and a Quaker Low Fat Chocolate Chunk granola bar.  I also stopped and got a grande coffee at Starbucks.  I can't help it, I'm addicted to Starbucks.

When I got home, I downed a handful of peanuts, and hit the treadmill right away.  I logged 3.75 miles and burned 450 calories doing a 40 minute run/walk routine.  Then I did a little strength training.  Running felt great today.  I was really in a rhythm.  I was glad because yesterday's run didn't cut it for me.

While I was making dinner, I cut up my honey dew melon, and ate several pieces!  I really love honey dew melon, and I think I ate several pounds of it last summer.  I also had a nice chat with Suzie on the phone, while snacking. :D



Carl had karate tonight, so I just made myself an easy dinner:  roasted chicken breasts, roasted cauliflower and a baked potato with just a tablespoon of Smart Balance spread on top. 
I felt like going plain Jane tonight.  All my food is white!


Time to hit the hay - I am really tired, and ready to get a good night's sleep.  I think my eyes are really tired from being dilated yesterday.  They've been feeling heavy all day :(

Nighty-night!

No comments:

Recent Comments