Monday, March 1, 2010

Chiropractor

My (Hopefully) Last Chiropractor Appt for a while...

I have a Chiropractor appointment scheduled for later this afternoon.  I'm hoping that it will be my last one in a while, at least.  I've never been too keen on going to the chiropractor, but a back injury that just wouldn't go away sent me there.  Back in September of 2009, I had some kind of back spasm in my lower left back.  I was pulling the door to the car closed, and I felt something in my back akin to how I would think a lightning blot would feel.  Youch!  I was out of commision for a couple of days, and I didn't really get back to normal until about 2 weeks went by.  All of a sudden in January of 2010, that lower left side of my back starting hurting again.  It was like a dull throb that was there all of the time.  Sitting for long periods of time was out of the question.  I tried ibuprofen, cold packs, the heating pad, stretches, etc.  Nothing seemed to help me.  A couple of weeks went by, and I had just had enough. 

All through this, Carl had been telling me to go to the chiropractor, but I didn't want to.  I didn't want to get "hooked" on going all of the time, AND I was scared to death of being "cracked."  But, at the point I was at then, I didn't know what else to do.  So I called Angela Prissel at Smith and Prissel Chiropractic and made an appointment.  Carl had gone to see Angela a couple of times before, and promised me that she would be gentle.  She was gentle, and she was great!  She totally fixed my back on that first visit after about 5 minutes.

Apparently, at some point (probably way back in September 2009) my hip popped out of place and was sitting funny causing things to overlap back there.  She popped my hip back in place on that first visit, and scheduled to see me the next week to make sure it stayed put.  It didn't.  I had shoveled the drive way several days after that, and popped it back out.  Angela said that would happen until my muscles had re-learned how to hold my hip in properly again.  She said it may take a couple of adjustments until it would be healed.  This is my 4th visit today, and I haven't had the pain or the feeling that it has popped out, so hopefully all is well!

Dr. Prissel and Dr. Smith use a special kind of table for adjustments.  I'll try and get a picture of it today during my appointment and post it.  The table "adjusts" with you so that you don't hear the cracking sounds and the whole process is gentler on your body.  It's a great set up for a chicken like me.

I can't believe I was almost willing to live with the pain, and not go to the chiropractor.  Carl was right - as usual.  It was so worth the visit to feel good again.  Plus, Angela is not pressuring me to come for adjustments all the time.  At my last visit she said we would see where we are the next time I came in, and I could make the determination myself if I wanted to come back at all, or just schedule appointments when I needed to.  No pressure is nice!

No comments:

Recent Comments