Saturday, March 13, 2010

Flax, Eggs, and Plus-Sized Furniture...

I thought I would get in a quick post this morning since I'll be either too busy with chores, or on my way to the OPERA later today.  Today should be a fun day!  Can't wait!

Carl and I woke up to no Vlad, which was a little sad.  I know he's having fun at Grandma's house, but I always miss him so much when he's not at home.  We also awoke to yet another gloomy day.  I think it's supposed to be around 49 degrees, cloudy and rain.  The weather guy assured me on the news this morning, that we would see the sun tomorrow.  (Hmmmm.)


All of the rain we've gotten over the week has really melted the snow.  This is the last patch in our yard.


Breakfast this morning was our usual:  scrambled eggs, English muffin with Smart Balance spread, and a small glass of OJ (Trop 50).  I use this little pan the I bought from Pampered Chef to make our eggs each morning.  I've had it for years now, and it looks the same as the day I bought it.  It's a great product, and makes perfect eggs.


While I was cooking up the eggs, I refilled the Flax Seed meal container.  Carl and I put flax seed meal in our protein shakes and smoothies.  Flax seed meal is also good in cold cereal, oatmeal, pancakes, waffles, any baked goods.  It gives you a boost of omega-3 fatty acids and fiber.  Carl and I don't eat seafood, so we look for opportunities to include omega-3 in our diet elsewhere.  We use Red Mill Whole Ground Flaxseed Meal.



After breakfast, I enjoyed some reading time with a cup of coffee.  I'm still working my way through my backlog of New Yorker magazines.



I also perused the Saturday newspaper, and came across an interesting article about how furniture makers are now making lines of furniture that are geared towards larger, obese people.  The article cites that 73% of people over 20 are over-weight or obese (yikes!), and it's time to cater furniture towards this demographic.  One company is calling their furniture line the Plus Size Living Collection.

I'm a little torn on my views with producing plus size living furniture.  On one hand, I believe that people should be able to have comfortable furniture for themselves, and that's okay.  I truly believe that there are people out there who have genetic or health issues that keep them from losing weight, and that there are just "big" people who have a larger build than most.  But, I also believe this is a very small percentage of people.  On the other hand, it concerns me that we need to consider larger size furniture for plus sizes; that being over weight is becoming such an issue (such a norm) that there is a demand for plus size furniture collections.  I guess this is just consumerism...

Any comments on this?



Now it's time to get crackin!  I was just informed by Carl that I need to get a move on if I'm going to clean the house, work out and get all spruced up for the Opera in time for us to leave.  Whew!  Here I go!

No comments:

Recent Comments